11/30/2009

Speed Limit Signs

Why are they soooooo important?

Speed Limit Signs are the mile markers of a man's life! Don't think so? ALLOW ME TO EXPOUND ON THIS THEORY!

I reached a millstone yesterday THE BIG 6 - 0, the speed limit for trucks at night on the Texas FM roads. For the last 30 years or so I've not made a big deal about birthdays. At times I would forget that mine was impending. When asked my age, I would defer to my ex-wife for the answer. Not able to cope with age? Nah, I don't think so. Age was just low on the Importance Scale. I think.

So is it just a number? I don't feel 60, but what does 60 feel like? I don't know because I've never been here before. Not much different than 59 the day before I"m thinking. I'm still getting used to my name followed by the number 60. Not sure how I like that - not that I have a choice. And of course I've graduated into the next insurance bracket which means life insurance-related items just ratcheted up by another leap. I got an email from my dad wishing me a happy birthday and I replied that it took me a while to get here. I got another email from one of my childhood buddies which wished me a happy birthday you old bastard. That's OK because his day is coming January 17th! Of all my old buddies, I am the oldest. They will all catch up, the first being December 5th. He has been strangely quiet. All that said, all the basics still work/function and feel ok, important things legs, brain, arms, bowels, etc. and without strain or effort which is pretty much the way I like it.

So I asked these questions....
How does one measure "60" and what do you measure against? Would this be a ruler of time against accomplishments OR would this measurement be how one feels physically against "the number?"




When do OLD GUYS recognize that they are old? When they look in the mirror, do they see how they really are OR do they only see what they used to look like? Is this like not being old until someone says, "Gee you're old"? At which point you bat them into next week.
A signpost like this answers the question! It's a mile marker for old guys who refuse to recognize that they have gone beyond the acceptable limits..Men need signposts...speed limits...to tell them how fast they are going.... They need boundary limits! But what is acceptable? What are the boundary limits? I think there's a big difference between what was acceptable for a 60 year old when my father got there vs. today. I don't feel 60 and most people you ask may tell you that I don't act 60. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I think it's all between your ears.

This guy should have gotten a BIG ticket!














No comments:

Post a Comment